Surrey Council has decided to hire a consultant to do a study of the Cloverdale Mall, recently vacated by Safeway. According to the City of Surrey website, Council will:
- Engage a consultant to prepare an updated study to assess the short and long-term market prospects to assist in the determination of appropriate land uses on the subject site and to recommend options for the land uses and densities that would maximize the use of the site, financial return and community benefit and support the Cloverdale Town Centre;
- Upon completion of the consultant’s report and in consideration of the City’s policies and priorities, including the objectives contained in the Cloverdale Town Centre Plan, identify the optimum mix of land uses for the site, and any other considerations and/or conditions that should be taken into account in the redevelopment of the site, including, among others:
- Increasing the attractiveness of the site by acquiring additional adjacent land;
- Maintaining the site under the City’s ownership and developing it under a long term lease to the private sector; or
- Developing the site under a development corporation.
- Provide a report to Council with recommendations regarding a recommended land use plan and disposition/development strategy for the site.