The Surrey RCMP, City of Surrey and ICBC have partnered on the KEEP IT Campaign – “Protect IT. Lock IT. Keep IT”. KEEP IT is an auto crime prevention campaign that will run from October 1 – December 2, 2013 and is designed to enhance community safety by educating the public on ways we can collectively reduce the incidence of theft from vehicles and theft of vehicles.
As part of the campaign, volunteers from RCMP District Offices and Surrey Crime Prevention Society (SCPS), will be out daily across the City conducting parking lot audits and running ICBC’s Lock Out Auto Crime Program. In addition there will be several special events throughout the campaign to help raise awareness about the initiative.
Special event locations include:
- Costco (Newton location) – October 5 from 11am-2pm
- Scott Road Skytrain Station – October 16 from 3pm-6pm
- Sry Sport and Leisure Centre – November 5 from 10am-2pm
- Guildford Mall – November 16 from 10am-4pm
During these events, auto crime tips, KEEP IT cards and steering wheel locks will be distributed. As well, Spot the Target activities and Lock Out Auto Crime (LOAC) audits will be conducted in the parking lots. The RCMP KEEP IT ‘Wrapped Van’ will be displayed during the special events to help create more awareness about the campaign.
SUMMARY of key campaign components:
- Educational events that will supply the community with auto crime tips through KEEP IT information cards.
- Steering wheel lock distribution for vehicles aged 2000 and older.
- Random and targeted Lock Out Auto Crime audits for the campaign duration conducted in all areas of the City.
- Spot the Target activities and the KEEP IT Wrapped Van for the campaign duration conducted in all areas of the City.
JACKI TOKARYK | COMMUNITY SAFETY COORDINATOR
CRIME REDUCTION STRATEGY OFFICE
City Manager’s Office